Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Shoberg seeks the truth in "Perfect Crime"

Richard Shoberg will forever be recognized by All My Children fans for playing the role of resident hero Tom Cudahy, where he last appeared onscreen in 2005. Shoberg has a new stomping ground and new victims to save as Detective Ascher, the lead in Warren Manzi's Perfect Crime.

Perfect Crime is the longest running dramatic play in New York City, with over 8,898 performances. The show still features original cast member Catherine Russell as psychologist turned murderer Margaret Thorne Brent. The show plays at Snapple Theatre Center off Broadway in New York City, New York.

On how Shoberg landed his new role, he said, "I was trying to find something in New York or California. I had done regional theater and would like to do it again. At this juncture of my life, I wanted to limit the amount of time I am out." He has been with the show for almost two years now.

Shoberg describes his new character as a, "Small town detective that comes into a situation where he is to investigate something that doesn't seem to be real." Shoberg said, "As he gets deeper into it, he sees little clues and sees that things are not as they seem."

Shoberg is not the first All My Children alumi to star on the show. He was actually the understudy when Michael Minor (ex-Brandon Kingsley) played the role of Detective Ascher. "Minor and I also worked together on The Edge of Night on CBS," Shoberg said. "I did the understudy for six months, doing all three male parts from time to time."

The theater was what originally sparked Shoberg's desire to become an actor. Shoberg saw his first Arthur Miller play in college. He decided then to become a theater major. Then, Shoberg landed a spot in the prestigious fine arts program at the Great Lake Colleges that brought aspiring artists to New York City to work in apprenticeships within the entertainment industry. Shoberg worked at the Actor's Studio under Lee Strasberg.

"After that, I never left," Shoberg said.

While not on stage, Shoberg can sometimes be spotted at his wife's Thai restaurant in New City, New York called Lemon Grass Thai Restaurant. "I am not there as much as I used to be," Shoberg said. "I have helped out hosting, bartending, whenever I can."

For more information on Perfect Crime and how you can buy tickets, visit their website.


Also, stay tuned for an exclusive interview with the AMC Alumna only here at The Pine Valley Bulletin!

No comments: